Human Rights Defenders and security
The Human Rights Defenders and Security programme of Justice and Peace supports Human Rights Defenders all over the world through the following projects:
- Shelter City, in which Human Rights Defenders are temporarily relocated in The Netherlands for 3 months, gaining new knowledge, energy, and expand their network.
- The Hague Training Course, in which Human Rights Defenders get a 10 days training on a.o. holistic security, networking, reporting human rights abuses and policy influencing skills.
With the migration programme, Justice and Peace is committed to the fair treatment and protection of asylum seekers, refugees and unidentified people. In doing so, we join the countless local solidarity initiatives that support them, new and longer existing. Strengthening local power and lobbying in national and European politics is the starting point of the Justice and Peace migration program. The migration program consists of the following pillars:
- Welcome Here is a national network and a series of local festivals in cities and regions throughout the Netherlands. Together with local partners, we constantly bring together hundreds of residents, refugees, initiatives and organizations. Thus we work on the power of diversity and local solidarity. www.welkomhier.nl
- De Haagse Huiskamer is a joint project with STEK. It provides a creative platform for people who want to work together in a city where all the residents feel at home. Co-creation meetings and activities bring people together. Thus we work together to create a resilient city. www.haagsehuiskamer.nl
- With a human dimension in Dutch policy we focus on a change in Dutch asylum and xenophobia based on human dignity.
- At European level, we call for a uniform European policy with a human rights perspective, with solidarity and protection of asylum seekers, refugees and undocumented rights as a starting point
26 February 2018
Justice and Peace Netherlands supports joint NGO response to the draft Copenhagen Declaration
More than 25 organisations have published their reaction on the draft of the Copenhagen Declaration, that puts new restrictions on the jurisdiction of the European Court of Human Rights.
20 February 2018
Justice and Peace calls on Hungary to withdraw draft NGO law silencing civil society
More than 250 organisations have signed an open letter calling of the Hungarian government to withdraw a draft law that will hinder the work of civil society and human rights defenders in Hungary.
16 February 2018
7 February 2018
Costa Rica becomes third international Shelter City for human rights defenders
The official signing of Shelter City Costa Rica marks an important step towards the protection of human rights defenders in Central and South America.
25 January 2018